From iDroid Project
Here is a quick guide to get the Swype keyboard (http://www.swypeinc.com/) working on iDroid.
- Swype is currently available as a beta on their site. Dates will be provided as soon as the latest beta expires.
- There may be warnings that Swype has expired and you need to upgrade. If these messages come up, uninstall Swype as there is no update yet.
- ADB is used. If you don't have any clue what ADB is, please read the guide on ADB.
- Root Access
- SDCard emulation (doesn't have to be, but its better to have it)
- Some form of file manager with an installer - I recommend Astro, get it off the market or download it (http://www.androidfreeware.net/get-astro-file-manager.html) and stick it in /system/apps and it should automatically install.
- Swype versions posted here have expired. Please search for a new one at http://www.swypeinc.com/
- Unknown sources enabled: Go to settings>Applications>Unkown sources
- Push the Swype APK to /sdcard or your preferred location.
- Open up your filemanager and navigate to the Swype.apk and install it (In Astro, click on it, then Open App Manager, then install)
- Once Swype is installed, open up the settings app.
- Go to 'locale and text' and enable Swype.
- Then open up the Swype settings and enable "Disable Audio Warnings".
- Now, open up any application that has a text field (e.g browser, messaging, email etc).
- Hold down on the text field making sure it turns yellow/boorange (hold down for about 3 seconds). A box should come up with one option: Input Method. Select it, then select Swype as the input method.
- alex for the guide
- #iphonelinux as always :)