Author Topic: How to get started with low level Linux programming (iDroid)?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline singulus

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPod Touch 1G
  • iDroid Version: MoJo 1.0.3
  • Jailbreak: blackra1n
How to get started with low level Linux programming (iDroid)?
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
To recap: I'm fascinated by the iDroid project for porting the Android OS to the Apple iOS devices (I own an iPod Touch 1st gen and an iPhone 3GS) and I want to start writing code for the project since it seems really interesting to me as well as a playground to deepen my "hacking"/low-level coding skills.

I have over 7 years of C and C++ professional experience, mainly desktop apps, but I need some guidance on how to get started with the Linux as a whole and specifically Linux for embedded devices like the iPhones.

From my initial research I've found some of the "canonical" books:

* Linux programming as a whole (I'm a beginner in this): "Beginning Linux Programming"

* "Linux Device Drivers"

Well, let's say I know the "right" books, but I still confused on how to get started with the real code from the iDroid project codebase - is it better to read the books, do the code examples, and then dive in, or something else?

Thanks in advance

Offline wlt333

• View Profile
  • iDevice: Variety
  • iDroid Version: Latest + iX
  • Jailbreak: Variety
Re: How to get started with low level Linux programming (iDroid)?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:19:51 AM »
What I would suggest is starting with the diving in part, learn the Filesystem of iDroid/Linux/iPhone and learn about debian, take things apart, try and replicate, you can do this with reading on the side... There is no need for your reading having to correspond with getting your hands dirty... As you learn from reading, you will more learn the reasons behind the things you do...

It's good to know Debian, as MANY Linux Distros are Debian-based. This is the base for cydia, also....

MAIN THING: GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY!!!!!!!! ;)